Sunday, November 1, 2009

First Stop: Bulgaria: Belagradchik Rocks and Baba Vida

Our first stop the next morning was Belagradchik, Bulgaria. After meeting our guides for the day, we drove through the city of Vidin to the small village. Sadly the weather was not going to cooperate today, our first day on the Danube. But being WAI hearty travelers, we donned our rain gear and forged ahead. The drive out was a grim reminder of the Communist regime and its aftermath. There were miles of deserted and empty factories along the way. All of those empty factories meant people losing their employment. Our guide did a great job explaining what a difficult time the Bulgarians are experiencing. Many of the young people are leaving this region, as there are no opportunites for work.


When we arrived in the village of Belagradchik, we made a stop at the bottom of the hill for views of the rocks, such as they were with the fog.
Then we walked up through the town and up to the fortress of Belagradchik. On the way up the hill, we noticed a tree with small posters all over it. We found out they were obituaries.

The rocks of Belagradchik were recently nominated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I believe our guide said they were 7th in voting, and even though this didn't earn them a spot on this important list, they were indeed spectacular. The ship staff had never visited the rocks before, and were unsure if they would be worth the drive out from the river. One visit convinced them that this was indeed a worthy stop. I can only imagine what they would have looked like in sunny weather. Each rock had a name, and a legend to go along with it.

I am always looking for interesting faces that reflect the character and culture of the region I am visiting. On the way up to the rocks, I met this gentleman and asked if I could take his picture. I think this picture of a local Bulgarian man tells a great story.

No comments: